YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – After a weekend of worry, the parents of a baby girl burned on Friday when a firework shot onto her porch and landed beside her said Monday the 4-month-old is doing better.
“It exploded right there. And it hit her. It burned her. Her whole face is burned. Her hand is burned. She got first, second and third degree burns,” Kiarra Jackson said.
Jackson is the mother of Au’Bre McCormick, who suffered life-threatening burns on Friday after her family said a 10-year-old neighbor kicked over a Festival Ball Firework, causing it to shoot into the rock ‘n play where Au’Bre was sitting.
“She stopped breathing on me four or five times. And she was just laying there and didn’t even move,” Jackson said.
Since that night, Au’Bre has been in the burn unit at Akron Children’s Hospital. But Jackson said her daughter’s eyes are open and the swelling is going down.
She even sent WYTV 33 News anchor Lauren Wood a video that shows the infant kicking and playing. But despite her progress, it still will be a long road to recovery.
In addition, the baby’s family is looking into whether the rock ‘n play Au’Bre was sitting in when the accident happened reacted like it should have. Jackson said she thought it was flame-resistant, but that didn’t stop the rocker from catching on fire when the firework exploded.
“That is the first thing that went into flames,” Jackson said.
Our station spoke to the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday to find out if flame resistant products will protect a child in a case like this. The CPSC said that fire resistance is designed to prevent injuries and property damage, but also cautions that “increased fire resistance does not mean there is no fire risk.”
Jackson said that even though Au’Bre is doing much better, they still need prayers. She also said the best part of her daughter’s recovery so far, is that they can hold her without it causing her pain.
The Juvenile Division of the Youngstown Police Department is investigating the incident, since it was a 10-year-old who allegedly kicked over that firework.