Sharon fire leaves family homeless

Sharon fire leaves family homeless


SHARON, Pa. (WYTV) – A Sharon family’s Christmas turned tragic when their house burned down Thursday afternoon.

The fire was reported about 4:30 p.m. at 162 5th Ave., which is on the corner of Robinson Place. Firefighters said the small house was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.

Firefighters said the man who lives there was taking a nap and woke up to the mattress on fire. He tried dragging the mattress out before it caught anything else on fire, but it was too late.

Neighbors said the fire was massive.

“The bottom of the house was on fire and there was something on fire in front of the house. I called 911 and by the time I turned back around, the whole house was engulfed in flames, as well as the tree,” neighbor Tala Wimberly said.

She said she does not know who lives in the house, but said it is a family and a few pets.

“I don’t know them, but I’ve seen them here and there,” Wimberly said.

She said the fire was so intense, she had to leave her front door open.

“The heat from the flames almost busted out the glass, so I had to leave my door open until the smoke hit,” Wimberly said.

Her house was not damaged.

The family that lives there lost everything in the fire, but they escaped without injury. The family consists of a husband, wife and two daughters, ages 12 and 14, as well as two dogs.

“Nobody wants to see something like this on Christmas,” Sharon Police Chief Gerry Smith said.

Firefighters were still on the scene at 6 p.m. and the Mercer County Chapter of the American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.

A fundraising effort already has been started to assist the victims.

Comments are closed.