BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – The Boardman Police Department will be supplementing its regular patrols with high-visibility enforcement patrols Sunday, when the Super Bowl will be played, according to a press release.
The release states that officers will be targeting all violators for aggressive driving offenses, distracted driving, driving drunk and seat belt usage.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends the following safety tips if you are attending a Super Bowl party or watching the game at a sports bar or restaurant:
- Designate your sober driver, or plan another way to get home safely before the party begins. Give that sober driver your car keys, if you plan to drink.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself – eat enough food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, then ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a taxi cab; a local sober rides program like DD4Hire; a friend or a family member to come and get you home safely; or just stay the night.
- Never let friends drive if they have had too much to drink. Remember, Fans Don’t Let Fans Drive Drunk.
- Remember to always buckle up – your seat belt is still your best defense against a drunk driver in a crash.
The funding for the additional patrols is provided by a federal traffic safety grant from NHTSA, according to the release.