VIENNA, Ohio (WYTV) – Several businesses and a home in Vienna Center had to be evacuated after a gas leak Monday afternoon.
The gas leak closed part of state Route 193 from the center of town at Warren-Sharon Road to the Youngstown Warren Regional Airport, causing those with afternoon flights to take an alternate route. A construction crew was working on sewer lines just north of the intersection and they were taking a lunch break when the line blew.
The Vienna Fire Department evacuated the Sunoco Gas station and the Dollar General.
“Very fortunate that nobody was hurt. We were fortunate that there was nobody around when it happened. We actually happened to be there at the time to block it off right away so there was no potential for any hazard,” Vienna Fire Chief Richard Brannon said.
The fire department is located just a block away from the intersection.
Dominion East Ohio was called in to repair the line.