Fire destroys Warren Township home

Fire destroys Warren Township, Ohio, home

WARREN TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WYTV) – A Warren Township husband and wife are okay after a fire destroyed their home Wednesday afternoon.

They watched as flames shot out of their home at 1602 Karl Ave. S.W. around 12:45 p.m. The couple’s two dogs also escaped the fire unharmed.

Thick black smoke filled the air as firefighters tried to contain the blaze. The homeowners said they had burned trash on the side of the house and thought they had put it out before leaving.

The fire chief believes that is how the fire started and a nearby kerosene tank quickly caused the fire to spread.

“It got a pretty good head start before anybody reported it and it was through the roof by the time we got here,” Warren Township Fire Chief Ken Schick said.

The victims do not have insurance on the home and plan to stay with family.

“We still got each other. That is the main thing. I am just glad we’ve still got each other. And the dogs. Oh my Zeus. I am just so glad I got my Zeus and my other dog,” homeowner Debbie Haden said.

She said she and her husband, Horace, were burning bills.

Open burning is illegal in Ohio, but Schick said the couple won’t face charges.

“They’ve suffered enough damage,” he said.

Rhonda Robinson lives right around the corner and arrived home to see the damage.

“To see the house like this, it is a total loss. There is nothing there. He lost his cars, my uncle Piggy lost his cars. There is nothing there,” Robinson said.

Comments are closed.