PULASKI, Pa. (WYTV) – A veterans clubhouse in Pulaski Township is a total loss after it caught fire Friday morning.
No one lived in the house, and none of the veterans were inside when the fire started around 9 a.m.
“I got sick when I turned the corner and saw the house,” veteran Larry Zec said.
Zec used the clubhouse with his close friends.
“We bring our families down here, we have good parties with our children here,” Zec said.
Several fire departments worked to put out a fire in Lawrence County.
“Upon my arrival here the house was fully involved,” said First Assistant Fire Chief of Pulaski Township, Jim Kuhn. “Pulaski police also pulled in behind me, we had a fully involved house fire and a garage fire. The Fire was shooting on three sides of the house.”
The fire broke out around 9 a.m. at a veterans clubhouse at 1847 State Route 208, near High Hill Rd. Smoke and flames from the burning structure could be seen for miles, and it took firefighters about an hour to get the blaze under control.
The fire caused ammunition for firearms inside the house to explode, forcing the fire departments to spray the house from a distance.
“There was definitely live ammo going on for about at least a half hour. I had most of my guys stay at a staging area stage back to fight the fire from a safe distance,” said Kuhn
The fire killed a cat that was inside the clubhouse but did not injure any humans.
“If somebody did have something against us, they could’ve come and talked to us,” said Zec.
Zec says, this is a roadblock, but it’s not going to stop the family.
“It ain’t going to stop us. We’ll stay together. We’re strong enough that we can stay together,” Zec said.
It is not clear what started the fire.