Man injured in Youngstown fire

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – A Youngstown man is recovering from minor burns after his cigarette ignited the bed he was in.

Firefighters arrived about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at the house on West Princeton Avenue. They found a mattress smoldering on the front lawn.

At first, crews thought they were dealing with a garbage fire, but then heard the man screaming for help. The man had gone back into the house to save his cats, but was trapped by flames and smoke.

“What are you doing smoking in bed? I mean, get out of bed. You fall asleep, if the ashes fall on the mattress that is what happened. He came close to dying,” said Battalion Chief Ron Russo.

Russo said the department’s quick response time was part of the reason the man made it out alive. He was taken to the hospital for minor burns and cuts.

No other injuries were reported.

Comments are closed.