BOARDMAN, Ohio (WYTV) – Residents of a Boardman apartment complex will have to find somewhere to stay Saturday night after a room in the basement caught fire around 2:00 p.m.
One woman who lives there says she’s lucky to have made it out.
“He said, ‘This is not a fire drill, there’s a fire…get out quick,” said Apostle Patricia Harris, who was met by a thick wall of smoke as a man who lives in her building banged on her door to warn her.
“I did not hear any smoke detectors, I did not hear that and we’re supposed to have working smoke detectors in the hall,” she said.
Harris lives on the third floor of the sixplex on Hillman Way.
“I got down to the first floor to open the door. I leaned around and saw the flames on the carpet and in the other room, I said, ‘Oh my god, I’ve got to get out of here.'”
Boardman firefighters say it was contained to the utility room, but there was smoke throughout the building. They say it could have been worse if they didn’t get there when they did.
“The direct exit to the apartment building was real close to being burnt through,” said Chief Don Kloes.
There’s no word yet on how it started but luckily, everyone who lives inside made it out without getting hurt.