Plumber accidentally sets N. Beaver Twp. home on fire

beaver township fire


NORTH BEAVER TWP., Ohio (WYTV) – A plumber accidentally set a house on fire in North Beaver Township on Monday, almost destroying it.

The fire happened just before 2:00 p.m. on Mount Jackson Road.

Chief Paul Henry says it started in the bathroom where the plumber was working. The plumber was using a propane torch to either solder or defrost the pipes.

“Caught a little bit of fire in there and it got away from him, and he wasn’t able to get it put out. So it ran up the back wall and across the first and second floor.”

Nikki Wheeler, a neighbor, says her son told her what was going on next door.

“He said, ‘Mom, get out here quick!…There’s all kinds of fire trucks, our neighbor’s house is on fire!’”

It took more than 50 firefighters from nine departments to put it out. The cold weather was also a challenge.

“All of our lakes in this area are frozen over at this time, so we had to shuttle the water about three miles to get here,” Henry said.

Everyone made it out safely, but one of the pet cats did not.

“She said she has a bird in one car and a cat she threw out the door, and they just luckily found one of her cats. Hopefully the other is still hiding inside,” Wheeler said.

Henry says that when they found the third cat, it was dead. The news was emotional for Wheeler.

“If it was my animals, they would’ve been dragging me, kicking and screaming before I would’ve come out.”

The house is not a total loss, but two bedrooms, the living room, and the kitchen had to be gutted.

Comments are closed.