56 displaced in Newton Falls apartment fire

One person was treated for smoke inhalation

NEWTON FALLS, Ohio (WYTV) – A fire tore through an apartment building in Newton Falls late Sunday night.

Flames broke out around 11 p.m. at the Newton Village Apartments on Ridge Road.

The fire started in a third-floor air conditioning unit that overheated. When firefighters arrived, flames were coming from a window and quickly spreading to the roof.

Everyone had to evacuate the apartment building.

Chris Moore said he saw the flames and alerted his wife.

“I knew she didn’t know what was going on. She had the TV on. When I walked in, she didn’t even know what was going on. I said, ‘We need to get clothes on, and we need out… The apartment’s on fire,’” Moore said.

According to a Trumbull County 911 dispatcher, one person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Damages are estimated at around $750,000.

Fire crews said both the fire alarm system and smoke detectors were working.

Crews spent Monday morning cleaning up after the fire, covering broken windows with wood.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the 56 residents who were displaced by the fire, 45 apartments have damage.

Twenty-eight people living in the apartments moved to the other side of the building that was undamaged by smoke, fire and water.

“We’re working with them all individually. We were out here this morning, met with some residents in the overnight hours. We called the rest of the residents and now they’re coming in so we can continue to meet with all of them to ensure that all of their immediate needs are met,” said Kristen Gallagher from the American Red Cross.

Nicole Garvey lives two floors below the apartment where the fire started, she said the damage in her place isn’t too bad.

“I actually got really lucky thankfully, I only have a little bit of water damage on the ceiling of my apartment, mainly by the window,” Garvey said.

When she heard the fire alarm go off Sunday night, she thought it was a cooking fire and that she would be back in her place in an hour. But when she got outside, she quickly knew that was not going to happen.

“We saw the A/C unit two floors above me completely engulfed in flames,” Garvey said.

She explained that the damage looks different in the daylight; she is still processing everything she saw.

Comments are closed.