Niles woman shot, suspect arrested in West Virginia

The suspect was arrested by West Virginia State Police and the Marion County Sheriff's Department

NILES, Ohio (WYTV) – A woman is in the hospital after being shot overnight, and authorities have finally caught the suspect after he spent 16 hours on the run.

West Virginia State Police and the Marion County Sheriff’s Department arrested 53-year-old Clair Douglas Enlow Sunday evening around 5 p.m.

He was caught with the help of a trooper’s automated license plate reader, while speeding down the Interstate.

“It scans license plates and checks for warrants or other driver’s license violations. [We] scanned the suspect’s license plate and a felony traffic stop was executed in West Virginia by members of the Marion County Sheriff’s Department and West Virginia State Police,” said Niles Police Department Captain John Marshall.

The shooting happened early Sunday morning at a home on Battles Avenue. Police said neighbors called and said they heard noise down the street. Then they heard someone yelling that they had been shot.

Police arrived on the scene to find a woman with multiple gunshot wounds.

“She was conscious, she was able to give us the name of her assailant and that’s where we put together the information that we got out last night and this morning,” Marshall said.

Police said Enlow had driven off in his vehicle before they arrived. They later issued a warrant for his arrest before finding him in West Virginia.

He is being charged with felonious assault and is expected to be taken back to Ohio on Monday. Police also said he may be facing more charges in the coming days.

The woman was taken to St. Elizabeth’s hospital and was in surgery around 5 a.m. Sunday morning. Her condition is still unknown at this time but she is in recovery.

As for the neighbors who heard the woman’s cries for help, they are now at ease knowing Enlow is behind bars.

Bridget Whitacre lives right next door to the house where the woman was shot, she said it wasn’t the first time the cops had been at the home on Battles Avenue that day.

“Earlier in the day we had the police here about the same suspect, he was being very rude, very disrespectful to his neighbors,” Whitacre said.

Comments are closed.