POLAND, Ohio (WYTV) – The Poland Fire Department open their doors to the public Sunday.
Children were able to extinguish a fake fire and look inside a fire truck. But this open house was also used as a teaching lesson.
People learned how to prevent fires with lighters and how to put out a stove-top fire.
“Not walk away, especially if you’re using grease to fry something,” said Bill O’Hara, fire prevention officer. “Fire can happen so fast.”
And with fall comes cooler temperatures.
O’Hara said if you’re using a portable heater, do not use ones that run on gasoline or propane indoors. If you use an electric heater, make sure it is three or four feet away from any objects in your home.