YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – Friday, we talked about April the giraffe who went viral on Facebook as people waited for her to go into labor.
The Animal Adventure Park, where April lives, has had the live stream up since late February, but she took her time.
Saturday, she finally gave birth to a baby boy.
Here are some fun facts about giraffes:
- Giraffes are the tallest land animals. They’re so tall that they can look into a second-story apartment window.
- Their necks are 6 feet long and they weigh about 600 pounds.
- Their legs are also 6 feet long, and even though the back legs look shorter than the front, they’re all about the same length.
- A giraffe’s feet are the size of a dinner plate — 12 inches across!
- There is only one species of giraffe, but there are some subspecies. The different subspecies can be identified by their spots. Some look like oak leaves and others look more square.
- Some zoologists think a giraffe’s spots are for camouflage.
As for the baby giraffe, he hasn’t been named yet. There will be an online contest where people can vote on a name.
Some suggestions coming in online are Harpursville. That’s the town where the zoo is.
Others are Miracle or Patience.
Did you miss an episode of Daybreak or want to re-visit a previous ‘Nugget’? View previous ‘Nugget of Knowledge’ entries on WYTV.com.
If you have an idea for a ‘Nugget of Knowledge,’ send your idea in an email to Len.Rome@wytv.com.