Valley families face serious damage after second round of big storms

Out of all the day's damage, none felt the devastation more than the Pavlich family in Liberty, whose home was destroyed by a fallen tree

LIBERTY, Ohio (WYTV) – Not even 24 hours after what experts with the National Weather Service called a “wet microburst” rolled through the area, another round of strong storms hit the Valley Monday afternoon.

This storm front was just as powerful as the one Sunday and although it blew through pretty quickly, it left a lot of damage in its path.

Just as the cleanup from the first storms started to make headway, another one with strong winds, rain, and hail ripped through the area.

Youngstown, Boardman, Canfield, Niles, Columbiana, and Mineral Ridge all saw the effects, along with many other communities in between.

Strong winds blew the roof off Six Brothers Auto Sales and Park Vista assisted living in Youngstown.

“Then all of a sudden, three loud bangs. Then we look outside and it was a mess, the whole roof just came off,” said Sam Ali, owner of Six Brothers.

The damage even reached across the border into Pennsylvania, collapsing a carport along the Shenango Valley Express Way.

Out of all the day’s damage, none felt the devastation more than the Pavlich family in Liberty.

Around 2:15 p.m., Bob got a frantic call from his wife, Gayle. At first, the phone cut out. Then all he heard was crying and a voice begging him to come home.

“The first thing I asked was, ‘Are you okay?’ She said, ‘Me and Soph are fine, but the house is destroyed.'”

Gayle was napping with their two-and-a-half-year-old daughter during the storm. She had worked an overnight shift at St. E’s where she is a nurse.

A tree uprooted and when it fell, it knocked down another tree, which landed on the Pavlichs’ house.

“A tree fell through my house and the bedroom that they were in is the only one that didn’t get destroyed. I just thank God so much that He spared their lives,” Bob said.

Once the storms passed, Bob made calls to his closest friends and family. Now the rebuilding process begins.

“We’re just here trying to figure out what we’re going to do because there is a tree laying in the middle of my house,” Bob said.

While they’re still shocked and in disbelief, he and his family are so thankful for the people who rushed to be by their side.

Bob said the insurance company is estimating the damage to his home to be around $2,000 with several months of repairs.

A number of people will also be rebuilding for some time following these severe storms.