Woman claims Sharon man locked her in house, sold her for sex

Billy Jones, of Sharon, is facing charges of human trafficking, involuntary servitude, unlawful restraint, and strangulation

SHARON, Pa. (WYTV) – Sharon police say a man held a woman inside a house, beat her and sold her for sex for two years.

A SWAT team was called to a home in the 400 block of Malleable Street to arrest 47-year-old Billy E. Jones on Friday. He’s facing charges of human trafficking, involuntary servitude, unlawful restraint and strangulation.

The 29-year-old victim told police Thursday she began dating Jones two years ago and he got her addicted to crack cocaine. She said at that time, Jones was already addicted to crack and used it almost on a daily basis.

When they didn’t have money to buy drugs, Jones would force her to have sex for cash, according to her criminal complaint to police.

The woman also told investigators Jones would lock her in the bedroom or basement, which had dead bolts on the doors. She said sometimes he would also tie her to something to keep her from moving.

“She was not allowed to leave unattended,” Sharon Police Chief Gerald Smith said. “She was locked in a bedroom or in a basement with a double-side lock, forced into prostitution.”

She said he also kept her food stamp card and monitored her use of it. If she disagreed with or questioned Jones, she told police he would beat her, oftentimes choking her.

“At one point she alleges that he strangled her on several occasions to the point where she thought she was going to die,” Smith said. “So he’s charged with strangulation.”

Still, Smith says all this was not evident from the outside looking in.

“You really don’t know people,” he said. “If you would have saw these individuals together, you probably would have never known this was going on.”

Smith said there are some indications the woman made pleas for help, but they weren’t heard.

There was finally a chance to talk with police this week.

“Her complaint was taken very seriously and we went into detail on what her allegations were,” Smith said.

Police got a search warrant and the CIRT team was also called in. Smith says it took about six hours to conduct the search.

“There were several car-loads of evidence that were brought here to the station,” Smith said.

Jones was arraigned Friday afternoon and is due in court later this month.