MASURY, Ohio (WYTV) – A Masury woman — and former firefighter — is counting her blessings after her modular home caught on fire Thursday morning, making it uninhabitable.
“Everything I have is in there so that’s my life,” Dawn Ross said.
It’s been 21 years since Ross was fighting fires in Hartford but now she finds herself on the other side of the call.
“Right now, I’m just kind of numb. I don’t know what to do from here, I guess,” she said.
Crews were called to her Boyd Street home just before 7 a.m.
Ross said she was outside with her dogs, loading up her car for vacation when she heard the smoke alarms going off. She went back inside to check it out.
“Got in, smelled smoke, and ran back and got to my dining room — which is about halfway — and the whole other end of the house was thick, black smoke. I couldn’t see anything,” Ross said.
Brookfield’s fire chief said it started near the bathroom and spread into the insulation between the ceiling and roof.
“It appears to be accidental but we don’t know how it started yet,” Fire Capt. Dave Coffy said.
Ross’ cat, Franklin, didn’t make it. Still, she is thankful the fire started when it did because had it been 30 minutes later, her three dogs would have also been inside.
“They keep me grounded…They’re my life right now so I’m glad they’re okay,” she said. “I will be without a home for a while and the dogs and I will have to find someplace to go but I’m thankful that I have them.”
Ross was not injured.
A damage estimate was not available.