Officials: French fries start fire at Girard apartment

Officials say a man cooking french fries left them unattended for a short time

GIRARD, Ohio (WYTV) – A Girard apartment caught fire Saturday night after cooking french fries were left unattended.

The apartment is located on Churchill Road. The fire happened around 7:30 p.m.

Officials say a small grease fire started when a man cooking french fries left them unattended for a short time. The Girard Fire Department put out the fire within minutes.

Because the kitchen area was destroyed, the two tenants could not spend the night there. They said their dog Rocky ran away when firefighters arrived, so they were out searching for him until 2 a.m.

On Sunday, one of the family members called WYTV saying Rocky was found.

The family member said a neighbor heard Rocky barking in the early morning hours and saw him sitting on the front porch of the apartment. After taking Rocky in for the night, the neighbor called the family in the morning to return him.

2-year-old Rocky, a boxer/beagle mix

33 WYTV provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s